Winter is coming in just a few short weeks. Are you ready? Is your home ready?
If you’re a homeowner, it’s important to take steps to prepare your home for the cold weather. By following a few simple tips, you can save yourself money and headaches down the road.
Follow these tips to prepare your home for winter:
1) Inspect your roof and gutters. Make sure there are no holes or leaks in your roof and that your gutters are clean and free of debris. Try using a telescoping gutter wand to keep the job quick and easy.
2) Check your heating system. Have your HVAC system inspected and cleaned by a qualified professional ahead of winter temperatures.
3) Check your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Make sure that they are working properly and that the batteries are fresh.
4) Insulate your home. Make sure your attic and walls are properly insulated. This will help to keep your home warm and reduce your energy bills.
5) Seal air leaks. Use caulk or weatherstripping to seal any air leaks around your windows and doors.
6) Protect your pipes. Wrap exposed pipes with insulation to prevent them from freezing — and bursting. Also, ensure every family member knows where the main water shutoff is to access it in an emergency.
7) Stock up on winter supplies. Firewood, salt, shovels, and snowblowers, if needed.
8) Winterize your deck and patio. Protect patio furniture with weatherproof covers or, better yet, store it away in a garage or shed. If you have a wooden deck, apply a fresh coat of sealant.
9) Plan for power outages. Make sure your emergency supplies are accessible and that you have a way to heat the house and prepare food without electricity.
As a long-time resident, I know the challenges our homes face when temperatures drop. So feel free to give me a call, text, or DM me if you have questions about winterizing your home – that’s why I’m here!
|DEBBIE SPENCER GROUP|
|REALTOR®, CRS, SRES|
|1 Militia Drive, Suite 204, Lexington, MA 02421